In 1942 it seems the Canadian National Railway were looking for ways to use the exhaust steam generated by the heating system, the laundry and kitchen operations. Their solution was to dig a tunnel 400 feet long to the Georgia Medical Dental building and the Devonshire hotel across the street and run heating pipes to both buildings. The move saved the hotel 500 tons of coal a year and it meant two other heating plants could close.
Careful blasting and digging 25 feet below the surface created the tunnel that carried six and eight inch pipes.
Grand Hotel Walking Tours on Sundays! From humble structures hugging the shoreline on the edge of a forest, to the grandeur and elegance of the iconic railroad hotel along with today’s luxury offerings, this tour takes a look at the fascinating history of spending the night in Vancouver.
Tours will depart the Hornby Street entrance to the Vancouver Art Gallery Sunday mornings at 10:30 am from May to the end of August 2013.
Please note there are no tours on May 12, 26, June 23, 30, July 14, 28
Tickets can be purchased half an hour before the tour at the Gallery’s admission desk in the main lobby. Private tours for families or groups can also be arranged.
$35 includes walking tour & express entry ticket to the exhibition.
Tickets can be purchased just for the walking tour at $15
There is trouble with minors operating autos in Stanley Park. The Board’s solicitor is unable to do anything as the law does not preclude minors from driving autos. Board suggested a change in the law.
In 1909, someone thought it might be a good idea to build grain elevators on Deadmans Island. Park Board turned the idea down.
In 1893 the employees of the Electric Railway’s powerhouse at the foot of Barnard (Union) Street brightened up the boiler room with the charms of their pin up girl.
Archives photo: Bu P123
In 1921 at the Tram News Stand you could get a light luncheon or hot drinks while waiting for the train at “Marpole’s popular lunch counter”. Drinks range from Hot Bovril, Ginger Wine to Oyster Cocktails all for 10 cents. Spend big and get their hot coffee and sandwich deal for 15 cents.
Shore Street was just a short bit of road on the west side of Main Street that disappeared when the Georgia Viaduct was constructed in 1914. Here the tops of a house and a couple of rooming houses poke above the northern edge of the deck of the new viaduct.
The street gained notoriety when the police department closed the majority of the brothels on Dupont (Pender Street) and over time the women found a home on Shore Street, though not for long. Businesses on Main Street complained of the long lines of men waiting to visit a brothel. The manager of the Avenue Theatre called on the police to do something because of crowds of more than 50 men milling about.
Eventually, the women with the cooperation of the police moved over to the 600 and 700 block of Alexander Street. And Shore Street soon vanished.
Archives photo: LGN 1188
In 1922, BC Telephone is working on Georgia Street and they’ve got a pile of wooden conduit to lay their wires in. And at this time, Georgia is still paved in wooden blocks.
The Methodist church was the first to minister to the Chinese community in Canada, there was a mission school in 1876 in Victoria and in Vancouver in 1888. From its original Hastings Street location the Mission moved to a purpose built building on Carrall at Dupont (Pender) Street in 1889. The illustration is one of the few that show the full building. It is from a booklet published in 1900 by the architecture firms of Parr and Fee, W. T. Dalton, R. Mackay Fripp, William Blackmore and G. W. Grant. In the booklet, Parr and Fee take credit for the design, though it may only be for the addition. Thomas Hooper receives the credit in earlier newspaper reports.
The Mission faced Carrall Street and only lasted until 1907 when it was demolished and replaced by the Pekin Restaurant, better known as the Pekin Chop Suey House and home to the Chinese Freemasons.