The Methodist church was the first to minister to the Chinese community in Canada, there was a mission school in 1876 in Victoria and in Vancouver in 1888. From its original Hastings Street location the Mission moved to a purpose built building on Carrall at Dupont (Pender) Street in 1889. The illustration is one of the few that show the full building. It is from a booklet published in 1900 by the architecture firms of Parr and Fee, W. T. Dalton, R. Mackay Fripp, William Blackmore and G. W. Grant. In the booklet, Parr and Fee take credit for the design, though it may only be for the addition. Thomas Hooper receives the credit in earlier newspaper reports.
The Mission faced Carrall Street and only lasted until 1907 when it was demolished and replaced by the Pekin Restaurant, better known as the Pekin Chop Suey House and home to the Chinese Freemasons.